Winnipeg owes much to its commuter beginnings. The street cars played a significant role in the creation of Winnipeg city.  From as far back as 1887 Winnipeg has been served by some form of commercial transit commuter service.  By 1900, the Winnipeg Electric Co. was a supplier of electric power, a land developer and operated Winnipeg’s streetcar services. Between 1900 and 1952, the Winnipeg Electric Company had been responsible for developing many of Winnipeg’s neighboring municipalities, such as St. James and many neighborhoods in the cities North End.  They had operated the largest network of electric streetcars on the Canadian Prairies.  They also had the longest streetcar to ever be in operation in Canada. There were electric street car lines reaching out to Headingly, Stonewall and Selkirk, Manitoba. The Winnipeg Electric Co. was sold to the province in 1952 and out of this sale Manitoba Hydro was born and the streetcar & bus  service became Winnipeg Transit operated by Winnipeg city. Winnipeg’s Assiniboine Credit Union was born out of the back Winnipeg transit’s mechanical garage on Assiniboine Avenue.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The show is filled with many photos of early Winnipeg, its streetcars, buses and pedestrians from the turn of the century to present day.

A 30 minute documentary for MTS WINNIPEG ON DEMAND

Directors: Jeff McKay & Beth Azore

Camera and editing by Jeff McKay

Producer: Jeff McKay for New Projects Inc.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Osborne Street bridge

 

 

 

 

 

 

Broadway looking west from Main (1910)

 

 

 

Austins power plant & skating rink !

(this plant on Assiniboine at Garry powered the electric streetcars)


 

 

 

 

 

Maryland Bridge – Looking southwest to Crescentwood (1900)

 

 

 

 

Broadway – Looking east to Main Street (1914)